Author Topic: The shitty weeaboo thread  (Read 12340 times)

DKL

• View Profile
Re: The shitty weeaboo thread
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 06:10:37 am »
The more that I watch this show, the more that I'm beginning to realize that people are just very dismissive and superficial...

Even looking past the popular consensus about the show's look (the controversy surrounding Kyoto Animation's new work is a better example of how fickle people are, quite frankly... I was there for most of the initial outlay of Anime News Network's avalanche of bullshit when the discussion thread concerning the show came out. Here I was thinking that I watched the studio's output because of the high quality, so I should somehow stop watching or be angry that they're now making shows that primarily have bishounen in them?), I'm starting to wonder if I'm just like the people in the show who go out of their way to ostracize Nakamura.

Most of the people I've seen discussing the show are fond of labeling her as that one "crazy bitch" or whatever, but would probably be quick to deny that they're nothing like the people in the show who unfairly condescend her.

It's easy to say "that's not me" and "I'm not like that" because you're viewing the action from behind a screen... but I dunno.

She might be "crazy", but I'm beginning to think that you'd have to more crazy to put up with the scorn of the status quo just for being "different".

(this is actually something Dave Chappelle talked about when he showed up on In the Actors Studio: http://youtu.be/84NjYRTHpfU?t=35m19s )

There's this sequence in episode 3 at the end where people haphazardly come to the conclusion that Nakamura was the one who stole Mayu-mayu's money... and when Kasuga finds it in him to defend her, he's "punished" for it with the suggestion that he might be in love with Nakamura.

(and he might well be... but it's strange that he doesn't just come out with the truth that she couldn't have done the thing because she was with him... it seems like he's appalled by the notion that he might have anything to do with her, which is ironic given that him and Nakamura might be pretty similar people deep down)

A lot of the heat Nakamura receives is actually very unwarranted: Nakamura ends up saying something "offensive", but this is only AFTER Mayu-mayu's friend heavily implies that Nakamura was responsible for the theft... it's not even subtle.

(looking back further, Nakamura only lashes out at the teacher AFTER he goes out of his way to humiliate her in class)

Who should actually be angry in this case? Is Nakamura's language really that unwarranted?

You only see it for a brief moment (and I'm not sure if other people actually noticed it... or maybe they're refusing to notice?), but when people in the class start putting Nakamura down indirectly through Kasuga (they're essentially suggesting that it's sad that Kasuga is interested in Nakamura, because she's the lowest of the low), you can actually sort of see the hurt in her eyes...

It turns out that she's human.

DKL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 06:20:24 am »
Also, yes, I'm watching other things, but there's not much to talk about in them other than how moe I get over so-and-so character...

Maria is the best waifu in Hayate the Combat Butler, but she's not getting as much screen time as she should be (older women da bes... even if it's only by like 1 year).

The traps are the best characters in Nyarko and My Teen Comedy Romance is something something whatever.

The K-On movie was essentially K-On... but in London. That said, I like the series well enough, but they already got the most out of whatever it is that they were gonna get with the content in episode 20 of season 2, which I deeply respected for its complex concert staging and surprising poignancy.

Actually, I also saw the original Patlabor OAVs ("SV2's Longest Day" had interesting implications regarding the use of nuclear weapons as political leverage) and Iron Man: Rise of Technovore (which is easily the worst thing Hiroshi Hamasaki has ever done and I was pretty offended by what appears to be Marvel's worldview regarding policing).

Just... 3 more hours until the new Oreimo >_>
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:26:47 am by DKL »

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 08:27:22 am »
I'll be watching the infamous Shinseki no Kyoujin ep 5 tomorrow.
Everyone keeps telling me to film my reaction, I don't think I can film for 30 mminutes though and I doubt I'll react the way they want me too. We'll see I guess...
Yay Xnfe!

Jay

• View Profile
    • Transistor Glamor
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 10:13:15 pm »
It's not my serious favorite for the season but I'm having WAY too much fun with Photo Kano anime

iKo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:35 am »
I'm re-reading this thread since I'm about to have a little more time to actually watch stuff soon!

As for the only thing I have followed, Aku no Hana, I think Kasuga is my new Shinji. If he wasn't a fictional character I'd probably just punch him in the nuts and tell him to go die.
I'm on episode ten, and if he said something to the viewer like 'I have crippling anxiety and find it hard to talk' I might be able to associate with him but instead his inability to answer any questions, ever, just annoying.

I've also been watching Uchu Kyodai when I fall asleep occasionally, because it's sweet fluffy niceness.

DKL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 09:51:55 am »

I'm on episode ten, and if he said something to the viewer like 'I have crippling anxiety and find it hard to talk' I might be able to associate with him but instead his inability to answer any questions, ever, just annoying.

He answered a lot of questions that episode lol:

"I don't actually understand the shit I read."

I actually find his vulnerability really refreshing.

This is one of those shows that is just... not very flattering, but has a lot of realness to it (which is probably why it isn't a particularly easy watch).

Also, the show's insight into "deviancy" and "conformity" is actually pretty weighty: you engage in any kind of deviation from the norm and people are ready to get at your throat (defending Nakamura from baseless accusations). You go along with the program in order to avoid this (sitting in a corner and reading books, pretending you're better than everyone else), but it's possible that you'll go crazy in the process (vandalizing the classroom).

I think a lot of social conformity is pretty crazy... but the reason why I do it is because of a lot of the same fears that Kasuga experiences: I don't want to be isolated from other people, even though being around those same people makes me feel isolated.

(also, fucking money... people are willing to give it to you if you're willing to swallow your pride and play along... this is something my co-worker at the martial arts studio doesn't seem to understand: he's more concerned over giving a kid a junior black belt for "free" than he is taking the kid's parents' money... nigga, they pay us... give him the fucking belt... this is a business and your pride doesn't put food on the table)

There are times where I want to cut loose like Kasuga did in the classroom, but I resist the urge because, for better or worse, I'm not willing to give up my comfortable and painfully boring life...

Doesn't make it any less annoying though and I spend many hours a day raging about it where no one can see: in my head.

EDIT:

Also, I'm watching this Nyarko show, I don't know why...

I think I'm mostly just waiting for the part where all the main characters sleep together (trap included!).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:02:03 am by DKL »

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 07:49:39 am »
Break lose DKL. Do it. It feels good.

Also. Be yourself. I pretend for noone.
If people don't like than the hell with them. As I belive Conan would put it. (If people where Crom...I guess...)

Need to see Nyaruko chan. It's rediculusly popular in Akihabara.
Yay Xnfe!

iKo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 03:14:00 pm »
There are times where I want to cut loose like Kasuga did in the classroom, but I resist the urge because, for better or worse, I'm not willing to give up my comfortable and painfully boring life...
Please start a Post-Hardcore band.

But yeah, in all seriousness, Kasuga is a heck of a lot more relatable in the next episode and I apologise if my OTT frustrations at his character made me seem unempathetic and needlessly e-violent. He really pissed me off in that episode though.I don't want to watch the next episodes though, because it'll be over soon!

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 04:35:24 am »
I'll admit I was slightly surprised at Attack on Titans ep 5 but it was hardly worth filming my reaction (there was none). I've been wanting to see this for a long time though, well played "something no kyoujin" well played.
Yay Xnfe!

Sar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 10:00:07 am »
I don't think this really deserves a new topic all of its own when there's this perfectly good one sitting around...

What animu did you watch recently?

Nearly all the best stuff I've seen has been 12 or 13-ep series, I think...

...so, we just now got around to watching Madoka, because nobody had bothered to tell us it was Magical Girl Watchmen. So now I see there's three movies, of which I gather two retread the series and the third is something new.

Do any of you guys have any strong opinion on whether they're worth watching?

dkim

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 07:05:33 am »
YES. WATCH THEM ALL WITHOUT EXCEPTION AND WITHOUT DELAY.

I don't care if your wife is currently squeezing out your firstborn, you throw that shit in the trash. That baby is garbage. Go watch some magical girls.

Sar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 01:58:31 pm »
I don't care if your wife is currently squeezing out your firstborn, you throw that shit in the trash. That baby is garbage. Go watch some magical girls.

Man, I told you before, we're not married. If we're having children - after watching these movies, naturally - they'll be bastards.

(For now, it's back to VOTOMS... :3)

Makyugiee

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 07:45:08 am »
That baby is garbage.

Consumerist opinion spotted. Every baby is a potential Mahou Shoujo.

Galenmereth

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 01:35:54 pm »
I rewatched Ouran Highschool Host Club. Fujioka Haruhi~

DKL

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 02:38:26 am »
Nigga, this all I'm watching:

EDIT:

Also, me and my friends discussing Sakura Trick: