Author Topic: Chronicle of Mars  (Read 9246 times)

Sar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mecha design
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 03:38:03 pm »
In case anyone is interested, here's an early test build:

http://files.eviscerate.net/projects/nano2013/Chronicle-0.02-win.zip

Sar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicle of Mars
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 03:52:27 am »
Further to the previous "if anyone is interested", I've completed the first act, which can be downloaded from here:

(Updated 20130425 v0.26)
Windows (35.5MB)

Win/Mac/Linux Combined (47.3MB)

In Chronicle of Mars you play as this fetching young girl: Dana Roberts, a young Lieutenant in the security service of the Candor Mining Union, operating out of Candor Chasma on Mars.
Events come to a head when the CEO of the company is assassinated on the cusp of introducing a bold new benefits package for workers in the CMU's mines - before long, Dana is pulled in different directions by her sense of duty and loyalty, the requests of her superiors, and the machinations of the government of Mars.

My goal with this game is to have a branching storyline which changes dramatically (or not-so-dramatically as per the events of just the first act!) based on the choices the player makes... but to avoid all the black and white "save the orphan or drown the kittens" 'morality' choices of mainstream gaming, and avoid the typical VN approach of giving the player big obvious either/or choices in menus - which to my mind are a bit demeaning and detract from player agency. So instead, all the choices you make are based entirely on your actions, and you're rarely actually told when a branching choice is being made.

Have some screenshots:

My talented girlfriend did the character art and helped me out with the sprites, but the awkward animation is all my fault. ;-)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:25:14 pm by Sar »

iKo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 06:44:17 am »
I really, REALLY like their faces.
I'm a sucker for realistic/rotoscope with anime influence.

Will take a look over it as soon as I get a minute c:

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 04:40:48 pm »
Thought I commented on this but I see now I did not...

Having the game branch due to choices made during gameplay is something I've been missing in games. Great idea. Love it.
If you manage to integrate story and dialog with the gameplay aswell that'd be great.
Yay Xnfe!