Author Topic: Dangers of Akihabara  (Read 20724 times)

Sar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dangers of Akihabara
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2013, 08:33:28 am »
Let me know what's the standard industry programming languages over there when you find out?
I don't know much about the industry anywhere but it's actually really relevant to me right now.

For what it's worth, C and C++ are between them still more or less the "industry standard programming language" for most programming industry. In the boring end of business they're being overtaken by Java and C# because those languages are basically easier to get results in and easier to debug, so programmers are more productive; in the end of business where performance is considered an issue and in games, C/C++ still rules because for certain things, they give higher performance. Realistically not so much higher for most things as people assume, but they're also bedded in and inertia is on their side.

For not-entirely-straightforward-to-interpret reference, see LangPop: http://langpop.com/

My expectation is that C# and Java will probably take over from C/C++ sometime within the next ten years, for the same reasons that C and C++ took over from assembly twenty years ago or more; the newer languages may sacrifice a little bit of performance, but they're so much easier to code in that the productivity gains are worth it, and as compilers get better the performance difference decreases anyway. These days, odds are that the compiler does a better job than the best of the best assembly coders at optimising for performance!

Also, seriously: make sure you know what you're doing before getting involved with the games industry. I don't know much about the Japanese industry, but in the West it's basically only a step or two up from slavery. You have to really, really love making games to feel like it's worth it!

iKo

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2013, 08:42:17 am »
Thanks guys!
I really appreciate the information, even though I feel a little guilty for not googling or something.

Shinma can't afford to be in slavery, how will he afford 60,000 yen drives with maids without pay?

(You don't need her man =[ stay strong )

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2013, 07:06:00 am »
She was back at work briefly about 2 weeks ago...
I just checked my calendar.
Feels longer. Much, much longer.
No good is gonna come from whining about it though. -_-

Some friends of mine said they'd invite me to one of those famous Japanese fixer type parties.
They have some "friends" they'd like me to "meet".

I put that in qoutations to make it sound ominous but seriously, I've known these people for a few weeks. If I don't come back avenge my death.
Yay Xnfe!

iKo

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2013, 07:01:55 am »
So... did you got to any mixer parties?

Nobody's spoken here for weeks >__>

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2013, 06:54:47 am »
It was supposed to happen last week. Unfortunatly all the spaces were filled and we didn't get in...

I instead have been seeing the maid even though I really shouldn't...
She comes back to the cafe so often I don't even think twice about calling her a maid still...
She's working tomorrow. I'll see her but I'll try and keep it short. 2 hours. 3 tops.

She want's us to email in english for a while.
Her written english is quite good and after only hearing her say "Hallo" in really cute english I'd like to hear some more.
Yay Xnfe!

Sar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2013, 01:21:04 pm »
She want's us to email in english for a while.

Tell her you'll happily help her with her English, but it'll cost her 5000 yen an email. :3

Nobody's spoken here for weeks >__>

I don't know about you, but I've been too busy overheating.

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2013, 04:56:16 am »
I should tell her that :)
I won't though… 'couse I suck…

Warm in England eh?
Friend in sweden was complaining a few days ago about the blistering heat.
All 23 centigrades of it…
We had 35C in Tokyo today. We litteraly set our AC's to 23C in accordance with national recomendations.
Yay Xnfe!

iKo

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2013, 04:43:34 pm »
Tokyo sounds utterly melty.
Shinma, You say the maid "wants us to email in english", do you mean you and all of her other customers? Or are you just being colloquial?

Scotlands been super hot but in the traditional way the weekend was pretty mild. Didn't stop me from running around in the sea, though!
I've been too busy overheating.
Too busy doing frack-all. They weren't kidding about this economic depression lark and job shortage, eh? Keep me busy!

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2013, 03:04:03 am »
The Japanese are not very good at english. I'd be very surprised if she suggested that any of her japanese customers send her mails in english.
No, I meant me and her. We're not sticking to it very well though.
I don't talk to her other 2 or 3 fans for obvious reasons.

12 people have died from the heat so far. Seems likesuch a small number I don't get why it's making the news.
Still unbearably warm though...
Yay Xnfe!

iKo

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2013, 09:19:17 am »
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I was a bit confused.

12 doesn't sound like such a small number to me, wow.

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2013, 07:34:15 am »
Compared to how many Japanese there are and considering it's an ageing people I was kind of surprised.
12 is alot. No one should have to die due to heat but I thought it comparatively small.
Yay Xnfe!