Author Topic: Nefasto's Personal World  (Read 8627 times)

Nefasto

• Murphy's buttmonkey
    • View Profile
    • Yeppoh Art
Re: Nefasto's Personal World
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 03:34:03 am »
We did! I'd have liked to come over for a chat, but the only times we were free between interesting talks and panels and the unfortunate necessity to eat food, you were in full flow explaining your game to people.

Cool you had a great time!
Did you manage to hear some bits from my distant explanations? =P
Creativity is healthy insanity.

Sar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 06:59:19 am »
Did you manage to hear some bits from my distant explanations? =P

A bit - and if the leaping across the screen is the move-here-quickly, then I really liked that.

I did try and download the demo when I got home, but unfortunately it doesn't run on my PC. Is there a known issue with Windows 7 or 64-bit machines?

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 12:03:48 am »
Not at all - I appreciated it, I just thought a "lol" would be kind of... crass?

It would be rather out of character.
I'll rest easy then.
Yay Xnfe!

Nefasto

• Murphy's buttmonkey
    • View Profile
    • Yeppoh Art
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 05:10:36 am »
I did try and download the demo when I got home, but unfortunately it doesn't run on my PC. Is there a known issue with Windows 7 or 64-bit machines?

It might be a DirectX problem. Win7 has DirectX 10/11 installed, but the game needs 9 which isn't installed by default. Try to update DirectX 9 and check again. Otherwise did you try to run in compatibility mode 32 bits or XP SP3?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:41:42 am by Nefasto »

Sar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 04:54:30 am »

Try to update DirectX 9 and check again.

As it goes, I get a virus warning on that download. Here's the link to the installer Microsoft provides directly, although it's the filthy web installer rather than a standalone:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

Unfortunately, with Dx9 installed it ran, but with or without compatibility enabled, it crashes whenever I try and interact with things. I managed a couple of look-at-thing interactions once, but whenever I try and do anything with the can I get an instant crash, nothing useful in the event log. Is it powered by one of the adventure-game engines I could look for generic help on, or did you start from scratch?

Anyway, having tried it several times now, I have one suggestion: could you make the intro sequence skippable? After the third or fourth time the long wait before I get to try and interact with things to find out whether it worked this time was kind of tedious. :/

Nefasto

• Murphy's buttmonkey
    • View Profile
    • Yeppoh Art
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 08:45:19 am »
I use the Adventure Game Studio engine for this game.

Did you happen to get the 2.10 version of the demo, or the v1.30 one?

Some events can be skipped with the ESC key. But no all of them are, so I keep your demand in mind.

Sar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 04:33:07 am »
Hmm - I've definitely played many other AGS games on this computer with no problems, so I doubt it's that simple. :/

Did you happen to get the 2.10 version of the demo, or the v1.30 one?

I did have the 2.10 version; I re-downloaded and both files had exactly the same version information and creation dates. I'd misremembered, and from the dates it looks like I actually downloaded it the Friday before AdventureX, but from the upload date on the file host it looks like the version I re-downloaded was from the 1st of December anyway.

Weirdly, though: I ran through the accompanying setup utility again and:
a) Turned off voices
b) ran the game from the "save and run" button in there rather than by running the game executable directly

and it worked fine! The reason it's particularly weird is that the intro sequence played out quite differently; originally, I'd had the "you got the HO nybble" and "you got the badly-drawn can" messages without having to do anything, the funny bird-thing was there from the beginning, and I only had clouds floating around the sky... then after turning off the voices, the two items were sitting on the floor until I deliberately picked them up and the ground pieces were floating around (apparently correctly) and everything.

(I think I'll try turning compatibility mode off now, though - it makes the animations and transitions run incredibly slowly!)

So new feedback: it's a bit weird when Nefasto is looking for a byte and the girl walks straight past him several times as he transitions between scenes without talking to him, since she's talking to pretty much everyone else! I realise it's probably harder to script, but I'd suggest having her only walk on from the exit the protagonist didn't just use, and either go back the way she came or go a different way. I'm enjoying it so far, though!

EDIT: Since I just noticed Nefasto hasn't posted about his dirty little hobby on this site at all for some reason, in case anyone is wondering, I'm talking about this:

http://games.yeppoh.eu/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:36:57 am by Sar »

Nefasto

• Murphy's buttmonkey
    • View Profile
    • Yeppoh Art
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 12:18:09 pm »
Ah! Thanks! It completely came out of my mind to post about my guilty hobby.

I'd misremembered, and from the dates it looks like I actually downloaded it the Friday before AdventureX, but from the upload date on the file host it looks like the version I re-downloaded was from the 1st of December anyway.

I see. While the latest version of the demo was already uploaded, I only had publicly changed the link on my website (and the other ones around) on Saturday 7th, the first day of AdventureX.
If you downloaded the Friday before, you had certainly the one version where there was a rare bug with a dynamic sprite pointer. A strange bug I couldn't reproduce, but was reported by some unfortunates like you ; which I still have to report to the AGS community.

From the description of the different introduction you saw, then you apparently have the one without the problem now, also with the new stuff added and some stuff changed. I can guarantee the setup settings had nothing to do with it. =D

Anyhow I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I'll keep note of the feedback. It's not harder to script, I only have to trigger that event somewhere else.

Sar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 02:12:13 pm »
I see. While the latest version of the demo was already uploaded, I only had publicly changed the link on my website (and the other ones around) on Saturday 7th, the first day of AdventureX.
If you downloaded the Friday before, you had certainly the one version where there was a rare bug with a dynamic sprite pointer. A strange bug I couldn't reproduce, but was reported by some unfortunates like you ; which I still have to report to the AGS community.

Excellent! I'll stop worrying about the compatibility stuff as well, then, if it was a known issue. Cheers!

Nefasto

• Murphy's buttmonkey
    • View Profile
    • Yeppoh Art
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:05 am »
I was worried the problem could be somewhere else. That I had to recode some major parts where I guess the error could be.
Which is a dangerous method I use to correct bugs that I can't reproduce, but many of my gamers seem to have.

Nefasto

• Murphy's buttmonkey
    • View Profile
    • Yeppoh Art
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 07:04:32 am »
Merry Joyous Days and Stuff People !