Author Topic: Search for your heart, Pursue your true self.  (Read 3950 times)

Soguhm

• View Profile
Search for your heart, Pursue your true self.
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:30:39 am »

What if you meet the part of you that you hate and try to hide with all your might. Not how you post anonymously on the internet but the true self you have hidden deep within yourself and don't want anyone to see or try not acknowledge you think/feel that way.

Do you think you could accept it?

Also P4 thread as it starts up in few more days.

dkim

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Search for your heart, Pursue your true self.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:56:39 pm »
My view on things like 'a true self' has changed quite a bit in the last few years. I now see the wisdom in Rortian trope that "there is nothing deep down within us that we haven't placed there ourselves" -- "us", in this case, meaning something like "us engaged in the activity of formulating new descriptions of ourselves together with our community". That only applies, though, if you take "true self" as "some bundle of unchanging true sentences about the self as it REALLY is", which I just can't take as a serious notion anymore.

If, on the other hand, "true self" just means something like "us, as we imagine we'd behave if we ignored the usual social pressures", then yeah -- I'm pretty sure we'd all find that version of ourselves to be kind of an asshole, but that doesn't seem to get at anything interesting.

Anyway, looking forward to delicious Nanako and Naoto. Chie too, I guess.

Jay

• View Profile
    • Transistor Glamor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 10:31:36 pm »
FINALLY A RELEASE OF PURSUING MY TRUE SELF THAT LASTS LONGER THAN 1.5 MINUTES

That alone inspires gratitude towards the project within me.

stranger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:18:49 am »
My view on things like 'a true self' has changed quite a bit in the last few years. I now see the wisdom in Rortian trope that "there is nothing deep down within us that we haven't placed there ourselves" -- "us", in this case, meaning something like "us engaged in the activity of formulating new descriptions of ourselves together with our community". That only applies, though, if you take "true self" as "some bundle of unchanging true sentences about the self as it REALLY is", which I just can't take as a serious notion anymore.

Yeah it's kind of a tricky subject since "self" can mean any number of things. The topic post seems to suggest unpleasant or unbecoming thoughts or attitudes that we might have and don't want to acknowledge. I wouldn't call that "self" at all since those things are completely transient. If by "true self" we're talking about some permanent, immutable "self" than I'd think it's something more like the ineffable source of consciousness, not just surface thoughts or feelings.

Also, holy shitting dicknipples, Dan is posting somewhere other than announcements.

Oblivion Shinma

• XNFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:43:26 am »
Monsters from the Id.
Yay Xnfe!

Forty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:14:04 am »
true self, well, I would think that my true self is half asleep. but this reminds me of a question I asked others.

would you want The Mask?

the Mask imbues the wearer with reality-bending powers and physical imperviousness, as well as bypassing the wearer's psychological inhibitions. you know, from that movie almost 20 years ago. Ipkiss is always trod upon but the Mask lets him become the person he truly wanted to be after all his Social Inhibitors were put away. and the villain practically became a demon when he got his hands on it.

if you gained the power to do anything and no one would know it was you who did it, how crazy would you go?

would that really show who we are on the inside? maybe it would just release a valve that was holding back a lot of negative stuff. personally, I can think of a lot of ways to abuse that power for my own ends.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:29:54 am by Forty »